Creativity to convert a discharging phenomenon into a commercial reality
Collaboration between electricity and material experts
Product design utilizing the characteristics of mica
From materials to functional units ~ Utilizing the characteristics of mica ~
Mica is a material with good electrical insulation and high heat resistance. How can these characteristics do good in the world? The product developed from the idea was a mica static eliminator.
To solve the problems caused by static electricity, a static eliminator is widely used for production lines in plants.
In this static eliminator, the discharge needle-type occupies a large share, and there is a problem that it cannot be installed in a narrow space.
Reasons are below:
(1) Distance is necessary for mixing ions: Positive and negative ions are discharged one after another by alternately applying positive and negative voltages to one needle.
(2) Height is required: Since there is a gap between the electrodes, charge removal unevenness will occur unless a certain distance from the object is maintained.
(3) High voltage is necessary: A long distance between electrodes is necessary and a large sized power source is also required.
The static eliminator developed by Okabe Mica uses mica as a dielectric, and high and low voltage electrodes are arranged on both sides of the mica. High voltage was applied between these electrodes to cause creeping discharge. Ions were generated through this discharge.
Okabe Mica’s creeping discharge type has the following advantages:
(1) Thinner than the needle type
(2) Because it is a flexible sheet, it is highly moldable and can be installed in various spaces
(3) Since it is a planar electrode, there is no charge removal unevenness even when installed at a short distance from the object
(4) Because it is designed for low-voltage drive, it has a smaller power source and contributes to space saving.
This is a case in which we were energetically focused on meeting the size requested by each user as much as possible by meeting customers’ needs for static elimination in narrow spaces and arc shape installation while providing choices in product design.